Author Topic: Installing new stator  (Read 130 times)

Offline franknsr

• EH Rider XXXX
Installing new stator
« on: January 28, 2018, 04:40:44 pm »
Need a little help installing a new ststor. Did the disassembly a while ago and afraid i may have list something. Got the stator mounted to the cover and it looks like the cable will interfere with tbe rotor. There is a stand that looks like it is supposed to have a retainer on it for the cable, but dont have one in my magnetic parts dish so either I lost it or it was never there.
Anyone happen to have a picture of what the cable and clip look like installed?

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Re: Installing new stator
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »
Dang... Well that bites..
Yeah there is a pice flat bent to hold that stator lead away from magnetic wheel.
I've always fought and was uncomfortable with it's design. Maybe it's just too simple.
So I had a buddy of mine machine a real piece out of aluminum stock that works very nice for me...
With that note, I'd guess you are not the first to loose it, and I'd bet Atlantic would have some spares. Give Marty a call.
If she don't let me know here, I'll get my email to you, I've got at least one in the spare parts drawer, I'll toss your way.

Wytfut
FlatlandersupportingXworld
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline franknsr

• EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:25:03 pm »
Thanks Bruce, I'll try Marty. By the looks of things on my primary cover, it still wouldn't keep the cable out of harms way. Maybe it will make more sense when I see it.

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:43:08 pm »
What serial number is the cover from and what serial number is it being installed to? In the parts book, page 72, item 30 is a spacer. I'd have to research this all again but, I believe prior to SN 510, the stator was spaced further over in the case. That was due to the earlier crankshaft compensator design.

My guess is some combination of later and earlier parts is what's causing you the issue.
Greg
1525 since 2000
1989 since 2012
0333 since 2015
1663 since 2017

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:58:28 pm »
Donkey and Frank....
I believe frank is speaking about part #23 on page 72 of parts manual (on this very same site).... if you are not, please get me straightened out... 

In my last phone call to Jamie about 45 days ago, on another subject, I was AGAIN reminded that the 510 cutoff means really nothing and is very misleading.....
For example....    My X is 525, but is 310th off the line....    so the numbers are all over the place.  We need to just reference new design or old i suppose... and leave numbers and dates out of it. I feel for the new guys..... hell, I feel for us at times...

Frank going from memory.... and please don't take offense on my simple discriptions here...  the stator lead will be against the outter primary case so the magnetic wheel will clear the lead....   
The stator lead also needs to be placed as close to the tie down point for that metal clip as the 3 bolt tie down will work. It won't be perfect.
Your second thing to look at will be that grommet on the lead that fits to the primary case notch meant for it...
That lead will NOT have the correct memory in it, to bend the right direction to fit under that clip and fit the grommet. I'm not going to tell you to grab some 9" klien pliers, but I will tell you to man handle that lead and bend it so you can use it, and clear that wheel. Bend it so there is an actual arch in it away.....     
We'd all feel pretty stupid putting in that kind of money, and only have it wear thru on that wheel in less than a year....

As stated before, let me know if Marty can't supply you with a new piece.... I'll get one one my replaced OEM ones to you....

sometimes this site is the best....

Wytfut

Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline franknsr

• EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »
Yup, its # 23. This is bike 1080 and as far as I know all parts are original to the bike.
The cable just seems like it will be in harms way even with a clip. There is a metal tang that seems to hold it up to high. This is all with the rubber grommet properly placed. It almost seems like the molded grommet should be another inch down the cable.

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:48:55 am »
The clip will push that wire lead down and away from wheel....

I know it's an odd design, but it'll work... Almost need a couple of extra hands
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator