Author Topic: Cannonball Sturgis  (Read 998 times)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Cannonball Sturgis
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:28:03 am »
Date line Sept. 17 Sturgis....
Our known turnout for the Cannonball rest day looks to be down this year compared to the past...     
From NebraXi will be Jeff Brown, and David Wright out of Sidney, and myself, Dennis Bennet will be attending, and Ken Bretz out of Minnesota will also be joining Dennis...  Numbers don't matter, and "life is what happens when you make plans"....   I know everyone that wishes to attend will be there in spirit.

I'd guess a few more may show that we don't know about....

Anyone/everyone is welcome... if you want to meet more X owners, this is one of the events you can do this. If you love old iron, this is also the event you can witness this....  And if you have always wanted to try out the roads that appear to have been built especially for motorcycles, .... where better than Sturgis. Jeff and I will be up a couple of days early, And Dennis will be riding there a couple of days after the rest day.

As is known, Maggie valley event is at the end of the month..... on the right coast, and highly attended by Xowners..... if its too far for you, here is an option for socializing in the community possibly much closer.

Jeff and I will be staying in Hill City South Dakota the first few days, and then on up to Sturgis for the event.  Want more information, give us a shout/text......   

For more information about this years cannonball....    motorcyclecannonball.com   

If you show up.... and want to catch up with us.... my phone number is 402 432 9131. Dennis's is 605 354 8501

This will be my 4th attendance..... and I still just love it....   I know.... I'm a sick sick man

Ride Safe everyone!!
Bruce
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Re: Cannonball Sturgis
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:57 pm »
Working the bots off this site tonight when I realized there was no true cannonball report for this year...

The east coast part of the cannonball turned into quagmire of huge rain..... so much so that one link of the cannonball was canceled. So other than the east coast X folks wanting to go.. that was pretty much it.
As reported earlier, our numbers fell apart this year here in the Midwest for the Layover/day of rest in Sturgis.
In the past we have had good numbers of X owners participating. This year it ended up being Dennis Bennet, Ken Bretz, myself.... and another X owner that just happened to be there launch day. I'm sorry I cannot remember his name, and only met him briefly.
My hunny was having issues with me traveling any distance by myself, but 525 had been running exceptional ..... and off I went to meet up with Dennis in Huron. Spent the night there and caught up with the cannonball participants just outside of Woonsocket S.D...... and Ken.....
This was the first time I actually got to ride with the cannonballers.... and to be honest I was a little apprehensive, as I didn't see it was anything special. Well, folks ... riding and passing these warriors of century old machines, was really quite special. We rode/passed them from Woonsocket to Pierre. In Pierre it was the end of that days link.
The next day we got to watch them launch and head for Sturgis. Again we got to ride/pass them, and again another thrill. The Class I bikes struggling just to make any speed. 4 cylinder Hendersons blasting off the starting line. A certain Class III HD flying down the asphalt thru the Mount Rushmore area. All spectacular.
The route to Sturgis they turned off and road thru the badlands, and then up mount rushmore, then off to Sturgis.
We didn't do badlands, and road straight into Sturgis.... visited the museum, and saw that Sturgis is pretty much a ghost town when the rally isn't in town.
With the known excellent roads just a grasp away we hit a few the rest the of the day and then went back to the motel.
Interesting thing about motels in town of Sturgis.... there are only 3, and they are all within spitting distance of each other.... thus, we got to walk around to each of the teams.... except for a few teams out at the camp grounds....
I personally noticed what appeared to be much more money in play this years. Many Huge motorhomes. I really didn't see any of the true small scale mom and pop teams.
There were 3 cannonballers from NebraXi.... and I got to talk to one of them who lives within 50 miles of my home.... young guy, thats very enthusiastic. His second or 3 round of the cannonball.
Our motels were great, clean. Each had a fold out couch....  so no problem getting 3 to a room. The weather was very cooperative.... even coolish. Only 1 hot day.

Humorous X mechanical story...    Dennis's clutch was getting funky... couldn't pull it all the way in... and wouldn't engage all the way. Dennis ended up chiseling the button head bolts off the cover.
And went to the ground to adjust the clutch. I noticed that the lock nut was loose on the adjusting screw. that was a good feeling, because it meant a possible easy cheap fix (one turn of the adjusting screw and the clutch was back)....
So I asked Dennis who was the last guy to adjust his clutch.... with out batting an eye "Bruce, You were at Junction City Kansas cannonball in 2014......"     We did a field stator change out on Dennis's X back then....    LOLOLOL ..... so..... in actuality, The lock nut holding the adjusting nut, had done very well.... hell, over 4 years.... LOLOL

another over all great X adventure....    next one in 2020.... mark your calendars...    Maybe, just maybe they'll come thru NebraXi one of these times......

Bruce Whitefoot reporting 
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Jumper

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:57:52 am »
Bruce Wytfut…. Action Reporter!!!!!!
Jumper

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:19 pm »
Bruce, it's been awhile since I've been on the computer (usually browse from my phone) so apologies for the late response: great report! I need to make time to go to more events like this. Man, the old bikes are amazing to see and hear them run.
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)
1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline Jumper

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »
Hey Greg.... Put Sept. 2019 on your Calendar… EHRC is putting the West Coast on the Menu!!!
Jumper