Author Topic: an off the wall starter conversation 2 topics  (Read 672 times)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
an off the wall starter conversation 2 topics
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:16:41 am »
      Under my last post titled "puking.....".....
      I'm going to take a guess, why 525 may puke under WOT from a dead stop....
      Understand, I've seen nothing that proves this other than what I explain below...

I remember reading years ago, on the "resource board site" or "dealer 38" site that an update came down from engineering, to the assembly line.... too.....    "align all of the ring gaps on the pistons, so that they are all in a row"...

Honestly, I thought this was just simply folly, someone made up, until I had to pull my rear jug. And there low and behold were my rings, and their gabs all aligned up in a nice little row. Obviously, I upon assembly I offset them. But I've never been into my front jug.

525 runs great. Its always dependable... appears more so sometimes than other Xs. Gets the same fuel economy that other Xs I'm around get. And my oil looks great on oil change (sometimes 2000, sometimes 6000) But I suspect that front jug has aligned ring gap.  Because of this ring gap, I've always wondered how much blow by goes back into my engine case, under power pulls.  And if this isn't part of the reason some Xs puke more than others, and some (I realize very few) don't at all.

this ring alignment thing..... I tend to think it was done on a very small number of Xs. I can't explain why I feel this way, as I don't have any proof.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought I had imagined it. So I had brought it up with Jamie  at the time. He said he finds the aligned rings time to time, and it is a real thing.

And on a sidenote of pulling the rear jug....   other than its a pain in the butt ....
       On a lot of the X's on assembly at the factory, one of the head bolts IS NOT drilled to standard/proper depth. I discovered this when I had to pull that jug, due to a head gasket blow out. As we have all heard the case being sand casted, the threads are definitely soft, and will pull out very likely. Mine did, and I tried everything I could working those threads clean ever so gently.... only to have each one pull out. And in the long run that was actually a good thing, as the stud kit superXparts sells is a dandy and much more friendly way of working the heads.
        So me and a buddy got the tyme sert kit to thread the case. Buddy designed a very simple jig, to guide us in. We got to the upper left hole in the case (upper left, looking towards the front of the bike), and noticed right away that the hole was well short of depth of the other holes. I'd say if I remember right, 3/8" difference. Needless to say what a surprise finding.
        We drilled it to the same depth and got the inserts in.....   
        On assembly, I noted that where the gasket blew out was the same position as that shallow bolt. From the case all the way to the head gasket.....
        I asked Jamie about this.... and he again verified that this is not all that uncommon on that very same bolt hole. And its always the same one...
        That fills in the blank on a lot questions....

Bruce

Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
Re: an off the wall starter conversation 2 topics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:35:08 am »
So me and a buddy got the tyme sert kit to thread the case. Buddy designed a very simple jig, to guide us in. We got to the upper left hole in the case (upper left, looking towards the front of the bike), and noticed right away that the hole was well short of depth of the other holes. I'd say if I remember right, 3/8" difference. Needless to say what a surprise finding.
        We drilled it to the same depth and got the inserts in.....   
Haha. Did you guys study that hole? Itís less deep because thatís an oil drain-back  from the heads behind it. I also drilled in and hit that passage. Because itís not a pressurized oil passage it shouldnít be an issue. Sure scared me when I did it though. I still cleaned and put a dab of Jb weld down there before the insert went in. 

Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 06:11:24 am »
Wow.. no kidding...
Did not see that....
Interesting.......
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Jumper

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:46:55 am »
Bruce... I've helped Jamie a few times and sure enough... Perfectly straight lined up rings!! I learned to stagger them in High School Mechanics class. Run a compression check on the front for shits and giggles... I'd wonder if it's lower than the back?
Jumper

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 06:40:14 pm »
I would say yes....   But have never persued it....   Bike runs good
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator