Author Topic: Upgraded Motor Mounts?  (Read 647 times)

Offline jimxt1338

• EH Rider XX
Upgraded Motor Mounts?
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:39 pm »
Has anyone tried the new and improved front motor mounts from Atlantic EH? Just wondering how they feel compared to the originals. I'm sure they will last longer but are they any smoother?? Thanks for any input.

Offline blackheart

• EH Rider XXXX
  • 0307, Feb 2011, trans, oil cooler, pump drive,bron
Re: Upgraded Motor Mounts?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 03:29:57 am »
On 0307, I  picked it up several years ago with 6750 miles on it.  I ran it intermittently until 2017 when I rode it 7k miles to and from work, so I had a good feel for the stockers.

What I didn't know was the left main bearing had smoked before I got it but amazingly took that additional running time to really surface.  I saved the cases by installing new leaded bronze bushings to eliminate the issue of differential expansion between the aluminum and old aluminum alloy lined steel shell bearing/bushing.

During the engine restoration I purchased the mounts you speak of from Atlantic.  Only the fronts were replaced. I saw zero need to replace rear mounts.  I noted the up/down movement was far less in magnitude,  inferring that the new ones are stiffer.  My old ones had settled some but I cannot say they were broken at all as they were fully intact when removed.  So it actually does feel smoother at idle, but when riding I cant say as the weather this winter has had me mostly grounded. I felt the bike was relatively smooth before running down the highway.  Since the new ones have been installed I put on a hundred fifty miles.
S/N 0307, 14th X assembled factory demonstrator

Offline jimxt1338

• EH Rider XX
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 07:29:33 am »
  ThanX for the input. The mounts on #1338 are in good shape and I already have a spare set of original mounts on the shelf. If the new mounts substantially improved the ride quality, I would still pop for them and put them on. I'm always looking to improve and update my X. Do you know if Atlantic EH updated the rear mounts as well?
  How about the new stators... Any change in wire guage or general contruction?

Offline blackheart

• EH Rider XXXX
  • 0307, Feb 2011, trans, oil cooler, pump drive,bron
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:31:33 am »
Again,  at speed on the highway I thought the stock ones were ok, but I have to say the new ones sure quieted things down at idle.  On the rear I don't know.  Be sure to buy some circular shims from McMaster Carr and put below your retainer nutz on the mounts to keep them tight in the frame.  Other option are the deeper $$ nuts that Atlantic sells.

As for the stator they overheat due in combination to hot engine and a shunt type regulator which essentially loads the stator at 100% all the time controlling voltage by shunt to ground.  You need to upgrade to MOFSET type 3 phase regulator such as a quality Compufire 55403.  Many other X riders use a China version which is used by various atv/mc companies.  I chose a USA made product as I don't like buying China everything. With the upgraded regulator the stator load varies on required output in response to actual need to maintain voltage.  I didn't even have to modify the mounting bracket to use the compufire.  I'm not sure where to purchase new stators. Essentially with with a permanent magnet for the field, field current cant be varied to change alternator output like in a car, so different methods are used on bikes.  Even the old Goldwings had issues with this.
S/N 0307, 14th X assembled factory demonstrator

Offline jimxt1338

• EH Rider XX
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 04:52:10 pm »
Shims for the mounts and Mosfet regulator already installed. I also spaced out the slave cylinder cover and the chrome insert by the shifter to allow airflow underneath for better cooling of primary cover. I also have been experimenting with the oil pickup tube height. Been slowly raising it to allow for more oil being held  in the primary. Even installed a drain plug in the primary cover for oil changes. I am attempting to elevate the oil level to the bottom of the clutch pack. Just worried about oil puke under heavy acceleration (if the oil sloshes to the level of the rear breather hole behind the clutch). Trying to get up to a full 4 quart oil change by storing the extra 3/4 quart in the primary. Yeah, I get bored over the winter...

Offline Jumper

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:41:04 am »
Hey Jim! I think the new mounts and improved mount cover should help out a lot. Call Jamie or Marty and pick their brains.
Jumper