Author Topic: the passing of one of the best  (Read 423 times)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
the passing of one of the best
« on: April 23, 2019, 06:46:08 pm »
I'm hoping with this posting of information, everyone will now be informed. All of the other media sites have been posting....
Gary Houk (Jumper)  died yesterday early a.m..... heart attack is the word. His birthday was last week and clocked in at 62 years old.
Hopefully with this post, most if not everyone in the community will now know.

A bit about Jumper...
If you wander thru this forum site you'll note he posted MANY MANY times. Jumper was probably the biggest promoter of X's in the world. He attended at least once all and every X event as long as I can remember. Las Vegas Auction last year, Cannonball, Sturgis, X Rally Minn., Daytona, Maggie Valley, BBB in Lil Rock Arkansas, Sweden, Plus I'm sure many more that I just don't know about.
It didn't matter who you were, if you were having issues with your X, and Jumper knew about it.... he'd even go so far as to call you up on the phone, if that's what it took.
I don't know his exact count of X's he possessed thru the years.... but I'm sure it was at least into the teens. I don't know how many he had in his current stable. I do know of the red/silver flame, and the X trike project he has been developing.
Yesterday the stories were flying high about Jumpers adventures. I made a few calls, some texts, and multiple posts on facebook. Here's where we need to pay attention. I don't know any bad/ugly stories about Jumper. There are some border line gray areas.... but they all end with smiles.... yesterday, some ended with tears, myself included.
Jumper was involved with Exlcelsior Hendersons since the beginning.... he was one of them in the beginning that bought one new.
From that time on, he monitored or helped monitor the yahoo sites... all to support the X owner. 
Jumper did most if not all of his own work on this X's. Inside a small enclosed porch on the backside of his house. I'm not sure how he did it all, I barely have room in my shop. But that would be Jumpers way....
So...... we now have a huge hole, in the community. Hopefully we can all carry on, and help fill that hole with all of the jumperisms out there.... and carry it on, his way.... never turning anyone down, ready to help.

I'd like to see some shared stories on here. If you know of any, this would be as good of place to share them as any other sites.

If you absolutely do not know anything about Jumper or never heard of him.... Google Jumper Chronicles. You read his stories/articles, you'll have a good clue to what he was all about.

RIP brother Jumper.... hope your new X is trouble free....

photo reference
Julie Driski left front
Dave Mcquitty left rear
Myself center front
Jumper right rear
Dennis Bennet right front
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:55:31 pm by wytfut »
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
Re: the passing of one of the best
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:17 am »
Awesome tribute sir!
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)
1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline Traveller

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXX
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:26:35 am »
For the Record:

Garrett Mixon Houk, age 62, was taken to heaven suddenly on April 22,
2019 at his home in Marshall, VA.  Gary was born April 19, 1957 in
Washington, DC.  He was a member of the Marshall United Methodist
Church, Local 77 Union, and the Excelsior-Henderson Motorcycle Club.

Gary is survived by his parents John T. and Marian M. Houk, II of Falls
Church, VA; three brothers, John Talbott Houk, III of Ocean City, MD,
Kenneth O’Day of Gainesville, VA, and Timothy Ruddle of Prince George,
VA; three sisters Terrie H. Sheaffer of Berryville, VA, Janet H. Ridgely
of Falls Church, VA, and Mary Bergere of Sunset Beach, NC; and partner
Bonnie Brooks of Marshall, VA.

The family will receive friends on Sunday April 28th from 1-2 p.m. at
Marshall United Methodist Church.  A funeral service will begin at 2
p.m. with a reception following.

In lieu of flowers, Gary’s family has requested contributions be given
to the Marshall United Methodist Church, 8405 W. Main Street, Marshall,
VA 20115.

Offline mrajfago

• EH Rider X
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:58:52 pm »
It is difficult for me to get my mind around the EH Community without Jumper.

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:09:14 am »
You nailed it...
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline sdhow

• EH Rider XXX
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:26:15 pm »
A couple of weeks ago, Jumper called me up to see if I was going to make it over to Laughlin this month.  He and Lock (Mike Locklear) were unloading some more parts Lock had brought down from Ohio and I'm sure my name came up, so Jumper had to check up on me.  Told him I probably couldn't get away from work for Laughlin, but i'd be riding an 'X' to The Quail in Carmel in May.  He told me to make sure I had Belle Plaine on my calendar for July; he was looking forward to drinking his favorite beer...cold and bought with someone else's money.  I assured him there would be plenty.

I've been on rides with Jumper many times; my first trip on 'The Dragon' was trying to stick to Jumper's taillight all the way to Tennessee and back to North Carolina.  A ride with Jumper was usually compared to some sort of a race...we were always the first back to the meeting spot and a cold beer in hand!

Which leads me to my favorite ride with Gary. I was at Marty and Jamie's on a Saturday and Jumper calls up and asks if Jamie and I want to ride. I believe Jamie's back was giving him grief and Jumper asked if I still wanted to go.  I hopped in the rental car and headed to Marshall.

Jumper had a bike ready for me when I arrived and we took off.  Rode several hours around Northern VA; this time at a rather leisurely pace.  Down single lane asphalt ribbons, lined with cobble stone fences that bordered wealthy horse ranchers' land holdings...all the while Gary was pointing out the numerous landmarks of this unbelievably beautiful region that Jump was proud to be a part of and call his home.

We stopped at a small pub and had a burger and a couple of pints, talked of the events and rides we were planning and looked forward to in the next year or so...and the future of our beloved bikes.

I'll always remember that sunny Virginia day.  Take the lead, my Brother.  Wherever you're headed, I'm fueled up and right behind you. 

Offline jimxt1338

• EH Rider XX
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:30:19 pm »
I am shaken...and speechless...

Offline franknsr

• EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 08:40:23 pm »
Love that guy. Not going to be the same around here without him.