Author Topic: 20th Belle Plain  (Read 651 times)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
20th Belle Plain
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:48:04 pm »
So sorry everyone.....   I'm still very used to Jumper being around, and letting EVERYONE know what happens at all the events....  He did this job well...   it was a pleasure to read his posts, even entertaining.

So........
I rode up on wednesday, and much to my surprise, the only 2 lane I had to deal with was between my home and Omaha. The rest of the way was 4 lane all the way to the door of the motel. I'm not partial to hi speed 4 lanes, but the only busy part was between Omaha and Souix City....   90 miles worth.  As for hi speed, it wasn't NebraXa.... all 70 or less. My bike loves 2800 rpms= 68-69 (73-74 on the X speedo).

Left Waverly about 8:30, and arrived about 3:30. Got checked in, and noticed a few folks and X's in the back parking lot.  Down there I met for the first time Gary Thomforde, who Phil Marks said I had to meet. Shook AJ Fagos hand, and met him for the first time. And I also met for the first time Marc Abramson and later his wife.  All good folks.
Got a hug out of Jamie Jones.... great to see him again, and closer to healed up.
Chuck was there, and a couple of others (please, don't take offense, I'm the worst at names).
Nice motel, and I felt they accommodated us very well, even went out of there way. On site was a restaurant, very similar to Cracker Barrel.... so good food also close. I can't remember the name of the place.
As the evening rolled in, so did more and more members. Some riding, and some trailering a long ways...
I know I'm going to miss some states, but this is what I recollect. Florida, Penn, Minn, NebraXi, Kansas, South Dakota, Indiana, Ohio, Georgia, Illinois, 3 swedes, and 1 Englishman....
Lots of liquid refreshments were consumed that evening.

Day one thursday.
Early in the day, Chuck's Stator went south.... it wasn't until the ride, but it was early. Not to point him out, but his was the first of 4 Stators that went bad, out of this 20th event, and Sturgis. The most I have ever heard of at 1 single event. I have no idea what that means....
AND other than these 4 stators, I didn't hear of any other issues with anyones X's..
Ken Bretz Poker run. Temps were warm but tolerable for this old guy. Not a lot can be said between the daily rides and differences. The roads in Minnesota, and just nice riding roads with very pleasing sights to see.... THEY JUST ALL ARE.  Ken took a very nice pace for the ride, gave us all the stops on paper, in case we got lost. Not sure why... but I always feel confident on Kens rides.
That night the networking went on into early morning for many folks. The Motel pretty much left us alone on our end of the campus, and we kept it cleaned up pretty nice.
My roommate Dennis Bennett showed up just about dark ....    still not sure why we get a long so well.... LOL

Day 2 Waz's ride....    As the week rolled thru, temps got a bit warmer. I wussed out after lunch (bar had set up specifically with us for food) with Phil, and headed back to the motel. This is by no means saying it wasn't a good ride, it just means I was hot (Phil too?)....   
Obviously more networking that evening...   

Day 3 was Duane Judges ride. Duane took another approach in several aspects. First the whole ride was zig zagging back and forth, so that no matter where we were on the ride, we'd be no further than something like 15 miles from the motel.... cool!
Second approach, first stop on our ride was in his own neighborhood.... a neighbor young lady and several other young children had set up a lemonade stand. I could have made stops like that all day every day. The kids loved it. The parents loved it.... all good. Plus the parents had mission of making clean water for places that didn't have it. If she made enough cash, it was going to go to that funding....  I heard she did, and it did... awesome...
This morning.... Dennis Bennett and I peeled off from the group, due to a side interest. A local club was having their Threshing show.
Before the ride (I believe it was this day, please, I'm old) Brad Isberner led us all in group prayer, with praises of Jumper. Which ever day it was, it was a very nice touch, thanx Brad!
Starting late afternoon Marc and some help started grilling up supper. Chairs and tables showed up. Bugs weren't killer. Temps were tolerable. Food was excellent (NICE). And the company?, well, you all know how Xers are....          I bought a 6 pack to start the 4 days. I didn't buy anymore after that. I have no idea who bought all the liquid refreshments.... but there was plenty, and it was good stuff.
A few started loading up after dark for early starts on sunday a.m.

We lost a few on friday leaving for Sturgis, and a few more on Saturday. Then Sunday more.
 I think the most X's we had on the ride was Saturday (even though we had lost a few as the days went on)... I believe the count was 30, plus 4 or 5 other breeds.

Sunday morning arrived.... some sad faces, plus folks on a mission to get home. I had 2 hic ups with my X thru the entire trip....
first....   apparently got some bad fuel somewhere there or on the way up, on the first ride, 525 started dying occasionally. But by the time I got home that was gone.
second... I was wearing ear plugs and pulled off to get fuel about 70 miles south of Sioux City.... and I thought I heard a siren. I was looking around, noticing nobody was near me. So the noise was me. With a little investigation, was a bit nervous. as my bike has yet at 44 thousand miles ate the rear bearings yet.  Nope, shook front wheel tire (no give), shook rear wheel tire(no give). Got back on the 4 lane with no helmut and the noise was diminishing.... pulled over, and drove slow... nothing....   Looks like I lucked out, as apparently it was a piece of gravel in brake pad. Road the rest of the way home with no issues....

synopsis....     we are an aging group of good folks,.... really noticed it this time, plus with the loss of Jumper, it kind of hits closer to home.  BUT with that, there are  the younger guys that are involved in the club. Not a number bounding, but its there... plus we see it on facebook too.  Many of the new people "to me"..... are younger than I....   looked 40 to 50, and thats also good.

Sorry for all of those that had wished they could make it or had planned to.... it was a worth while trip.
And sorry for those that just couldn't make it....   Life goes on, I know how that works. Wish I could make many more events with these folks.... miss them all between events...

it was another X event worthy of the books..

Bruce

Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
Re: 20th Belle Plain
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 10:57:52 pm »
Bruce,

It sounds like a good time was had by all. You said you thought maybe 30ish bikes made it. Any chance you guys got a group photo? Maybe one in the factory parking lot? That would be awesome.
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly) 1989 since 2012 (Jennie) 0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood) 0738 since 2018 (Babe) 1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »
Several attempts by many people batter than I were attempting photos of group and bikes.
I think we may have been a little to fluid this time. Comings and goings.
Robbed this off the Facebook post about our lemonade stand stop.and it's a pretty God shot of the bikes
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 05:11:16 pm »
That’s a great shot. As a non-Facebook person, I saw the posts but can’t reply (I don’t do Facebook). So no trips by the factory? Stopped in the parking lot?
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly) 1989 since 2012 (Jennie) 0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood) 0738 since 2018 (Babe) 1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 07:43:45 am »
Several owners did personal shots in front of factory (amazing how receptive they are there). Phil Marks did a 20 year shot... Had one from 20 years ago and now. It's pretty cool.

Greg your email filter won't let me in..

Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator