Author Topic: Jim Turek and HD seat adaptions  (Read 121 times)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Jim Turek and HD seat adaptions
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:38:18 am »
Jim has come up with some very interesting seat adaptions from HD products. I find the back rest for the front very nice. As I have a EH corbin with a back rest, that I really like...
John Falhafer, instructed me on how to post pictures.... wish me luck

I'll see if I can get Jim on here to explain what HD parts and what was done....
This actually was posted about 6 weeks ago, but this site was invaded by all sorts of evil doers. In the process of cleaning house, Jims original post inadvertently went the way side
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Re: Jim Turek and HD seat adaptions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:39:41 am »
second shot
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 10:35:39 am »
You’re saying those are Harley seats and backrests? I’ve often wondered how close something like a Softail seat would be to fitting ours.

I’d like to hear more.

PS: there is something very odd that has been happening the past month or so on here. I post and only a portion of the words appear in the final result. I can even preview the post and it all looks fine. Post it and it’s gone.

It’s happened on both my phone and my computer so it’s not on my end. I’m having a heck of a time editing the post and making this edit stick.

Trying again...

Apparently even MODIFY doesn’t work. I have to use the little wrench icon to edit and paste the text. Very strange.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:42:35 am by Donkey Hotey »
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)
1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:46:35 pm »
Don't what to say Greg...
I haven't experienced that at all.
Our invasion was spammers/hackers/ and boys. They were posting up to 2 full pages at a crack....

If it keeps up, let me know..
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline jimxt1338

• EH Rider XX
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 07:51:13 pm »
A Heritage Softail driver seat doesn't fit. It's to long to fit in the area. However, the passenger seat is very close to our seats dimensions and with some slight modifications, fits nicely. It is a couple of inches wider than the stock passenger seat and it sits up higher in the front offering some lower back support for the driver. The mods include relocation of the seats chrome rear mounting tab and opening up the plastic mounting tabs in the front to the proper width with a Dremel. Piece of cake.
  The driver backrest is a Softail model from Grasshopper Limited. Again, made it fit with some mild modifications. Lonnie from Grasshopper tells me he will release a kit for our bikes because it's so close to the Softail kit he already makes. I am uncertain as to when it will be released for sale. I haven't had time to call him to check and he hasn't responded to my recent emails.
  The passenger backrest is a Mustang replacement for a Harley. It was a pain in the ass to make it fit and I wouldn't recommend doing it. It included using the steel plate from the stock backrest pad as an adapter plate, covering it in vinyl and bolting it to the Mustang pad. All the modified parts used fit a 2013 Heritage Softail. I owned both bikes at the same time so I was able to size things up before purchasing used parts off eBay to modify.
  I'll let you know when I hear back from Lonnie. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jim T

Offline jimxt1338

• EH Rider XX
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 05:11:01 pm »
I spoke with Lonnie from Grasshopper Limited and he says the backrests are ready. He will have them posted on the website next week for an introductory price plus an Xtra 15 percent off the whole month of October. Happy Halloween!! They will be available in two different heights. Just call and specify short or tall. Tall is what's in the pics here and what will be pictured on the website.
  Bruce will post two more pics of the modified Heritage Softail passenger seat next to a SuperX passenger seat to show the similarity and the difference's between the two.
Jim T
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:27:36 pm by jimxt1338 »

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:25 pm »
here we go Jim....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 08:18:05 pm »
and lastly
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 09:20:51 pm »
Very cool information to have. You saved me taking a whole day and riding to somebody with a Softail seat just to try this out.

I was worried about getting a riding replacement for one of my bikes until Atlantic came into NOS stock seats. They aren't the most comfortable in the world but, they're stock so I bought one.

As for passenger seats, the below picture is the last time 1525 had a passenger seat attached: August 2000. It had to be removed to take the protective plastic off and it never went on the bike again.

The backrest thing isn't for me but, I'm sure others will want it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:56:46 pm by Donkey Hotey »
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)
1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)