Author Topic: Wagging Fuel Gauge Level  (Read 35 times)

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
Wagging Fuel Gauge Level
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:43:27 pm »
Okay, this is a new one. While out riding 1525 the other day, I glanced down to see the fuel gauge wagging wildly all over the range (had about a half-tank of actual fuel). I figured it must have a bad connection somewhere. After stopping, the flapping slowed and seemed to match the fuel sloshing in the tank. As the fuel settled, so did the gauge.

I just pulled that gauge cluster apart and removed the fuel gauge. It freely spins with no soft damping at all. I have no idea why this would happen all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure there is a damping fluid they put on these mechanisms to give them that smooth, slow response.

Has anybody else had similar issues with theirs? How did you fix it?

Thanks,
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)
1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
Re: Wagging Fuel Gauge Level
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:31:38 am »
Answering my own question here: after doing some online research, the product I'm looking for is damping fluid. It's the same stuff they use to make old turntables have smooth tonearm movement and give certain switches and controls that nice, soft, fluid feel.

At first glance the fluid might look like a thick grease but, it's function is not to lubricate. Damping fluid is designed to have a high-shearing behavior that slows things down or puts drag on them.

Apparently it's not uncommon for the stuff to run out of the joint where the fluid was used. It's also allegedly not difficult to drip some more back into the pivot to restore the smooth action. I have ordered some silicone damping fluid that is designed for the differentials on RC cars. I saw it recommended elsewhere for car gauges. I'll report back what I find when it arrives.
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly)
1989 since 2012 (Jennie)
0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood)
0738 since 2018 (Babe)
1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Re: Wagging Fuel Gauge Level
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:11:23 am »
Wow Greg...
This is a whole new science for me..
I had no idea.

I read your post when it first came up. And the only thing I had to relate was that my fuel gauge had bobbed a couple of times on cold starts.

This is drawing my interest
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator