Author Topic: A moment of silence for 459  (Read 458 times)

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
Re: A moment of silence for 459
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:51:03 pm »
Yeah, that one has been broken up for parts for a few years now (look at his other listings—misspelled ‘excelsior’). It was in some kind of accident and wasn’t in the best of shape before that.

I almost bought that bike maybe five years ago. It had a dent in the tank, and some other unique things—like the grips and passenger floorboards, in addition to the location—that gave it away.

It was 2,000 miles away and fall was falling rapidly. I was going to get to Indianapolis in the evening on Halloween. I was going to have to load it and then tow back with a wet, snowy storm closing in on the middle of the country. All of that so I’d have a Super X I wouldn’t feel bad about customizing. I backed out at the last minute and apologized profusely. He obviously found another buyer and the bike met its fate.

The only silver lining is that I bought a bunch of parts from that bike that fixed up two of my others. I still don’t like seeing them parted out.
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly) 1989 since 2012 (Jennie) 0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood) 0738 since 2018 (Babe) 1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline Berlin Bob

• EH Rider XXXX
Re: A moment of silence for 459
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:02:32 am »
Yeh  I don,t like seeing them parted out either... but I could not help buying Randy Sasse's  engine off of him when he parted out 1457...by the time I contacted him he had already sold the frame !!!   ...so now ,I have rebuilt it , and it is up on ebay for sale ???  nothing more I can do to preserve the bikes ... I was sad that he passed before I could ask him more questions about the bike ...it's not right buying a frame that does not match... I could buy the frame only now, but it is stripped of everything, not even the forks...bare..can you imagine the cost to bring it back alive ???

Offline smoke

• EH Rider X