Author Topic: Fork Spring noise  (Read 320 times)

Offline Bobbybhb

• Calgary X
  • EH Rider XX
  • Bobbybhb
    • Bobby Baum Projects
Fork Spring noise
« on: August 17, 2020, 06:16:55 pm »
I thought I read a column about parts to help fix the spring rattle. Is there such parts? Thanks
Bobby B 1488

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
Re: Fork Spring noise
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 07:21:07 pm »
Not familiar with spring rattle issue.
Just experienced and fixed front fork tinkling sound.
Sounded like a little elf with a silver bell running along side of my X when on rock roads.
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
    • 2000 Excelsior Henderson 1525
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 09:02:35 am »
If it's an occasional jingling noise that you're hearing, it's the loss of one or both of your bottoming bumpers on the front shocks. Hidden inside the fork legs, under those chrome covers, inside the fork springs, are very conventional looking shocks. They have a metal cup and a foam bottoming bumper at the top.

After so many years, the foam bumpers are crumbling from age. Once they're gone, the metal cup that used to be around them falls down to ride on top of the shock. Ride a bumpy road and the little cup (shaped like a bell) jingles inside the fork.

I've heard that some people cut a piece of rubber tubing in half and slip it around the shaft to create something of a bumper and to hold the cup at the top of the shaft again.

Giving this some recent thought, I think I will do the next one by flipping the shock upside down and filling the cup with RTV silicone until it's full plus maybe a quarter inch. Once cured, that would serve as a bottoming bumper again and should be plenty durable inside that steel cup.

Downside: you have to remove the top of the fork tubes (the 1/4" screws on the fork caps) as well as compress and remove the fork springs to get inside. That means you need a spring compressor of some kind. This can be done on the bike be extra, extra careful working around that front fender. It's insanely easy to drop a wrench or piece of hardware and damage it. I'd cover it with blankets and towels before even starting the job.

Or just live with the jingling. Nothing is falling apart and the front end isn't going to come off the bike.
Greg
1525 since 2000 (Molly) 1989 since 2012 (Jennie) 0333 since 2015 (Beulah)
1663 since 2017 (Deadwood) 0738 since 2018 (Babe) 1940 since 2019 (Sinclair)

Offline Bobbybhb

• Calgary X
  • EH Rider XX
  • Bobbybhb
    • Bobby Baum Projects
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 08:29:28 pm »
Thanks that sounds like a fix.
Bobby B 1488

Offline wytfut

• EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 07:12:07 am »
Jamie at superXparts found some rubber rod that's about 2" in diameter. It looks feels like rubber/vinyl.
He drills a hole, and slices to wrap around shaft.

Looks like it's gonna work very well also
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Berlin Bob

• EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:01:40 pm »
I  kind of like the jinggle !!!!

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 01:22:01 am »
Of course there is also the occasional spring slapping against a chrome liner on a very rough portion of road. That sound is completely separate from the jingling sound.
Greg

Offline Berlin Bob

• EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 01:58:48 pm »
yep  it  is :)

Offline Donkey Hotey

• Bike Hoarder
  • EH Rider X Moderator
  • EH Rider XXXX
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 03:11:41 pm »
That front end is intoxicating. I can still remember my first test ride, watching the world pour around the reflection on the back of the headlight shell and the springs dancing as it rumbled down Ball Road in Anaheim, CA. I bought 1525 a week later July 31, 2000.

Many of us remember the online rumors: that the springer would go away and the conventional-forked American X would become the company's future offering. I had to have the real deal.

This is how close I was to owning a blue one. I drove to this dealer looking for a Green / Oyster 2000, the salesman tried to hard-sell me on this Henderson Blue. He went so far as to roll it out from the others and put this paper on it. While I was pondering, he mentioned a Red / Oyster still in the crate. "Perfect, I'll take it like that, don't touch it!"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:13:18 pm by Donkey Hotey »
Greg

Offline Bobbybhb

• Calgary X
  • EH Rider XX
  • Bobbybhb
    • Bobby Baum Projects
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 08:33:41 pm »
That front end is intoxicating. I can still remember my first test ride, watching the world pour around the reflection on the back of the headlight shell and the springs dancing as it rumbled down Ball Road in Anaheim, CA. I bought 1525 a week later July 31, 2000.

Many of us remember the online rumors: that the springer would go away and the conventional-forked American X would become the company's future offering. I had to have the real deal.

This is how close I was to owning a blue one. I drove to this dealer looking for a Green / Oyster 2000, the salesman tried to hard-sell me on this Henderson Blue. He went so far as to roll it out from the others and put this paper on it. While I was pondering, he mentioned a Red / Oyster still in the crate. "Perfect, I'll take it like that, don't touch it!"
My wife and I rode to Sturgis in 99 on our HD just to ride the EH. We took one on our own down the back roads 2 up. We loved it. XX. I talked to Dans brother in Deadwood about the bikes. We managed to get invited to the dealer gala. That
Bobby B 1488

Offline blackheart

• EH Rider XXXX
  • 0307, Feb 2011, trans, oil cooler, pump drive,bron
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 10:32:29 am »
Interestingly mine just started the same rattle.  A few years ago my chrome shroud loosened up an rattled then fell down. I tightened it back.  Thus I was just getting ready to pull out the service manual to see if I could find what else might be loose.

This posting helped!
S/N 0307, 14th X assembled factory demonstrator